St. Anna’s Lutheran church
Mazsalaca St. Anna's Church was built so that its slender, beautiful tower(58.6m) could be seen from miraculously survived destruction and transformation for other uses during the Soviet occupation. The cross-shaped gothic newer part of the church was designed by architect J. Brauns and built in 1890, in one summer. The altar of Dome Church in Riga was used as template of the altar designed by V. Neimanis and sculpted from oak by local artisan V. Šneiders. The altar painting is the copy of German paiter R. Richter's Christ and Peter.
The original church with 1.5m thick walls was constructed in the 14th century. The original 18th century barowue atar still disolays the altar piece Holly Communion painted by an unknown painter. The original thich walls are protected as they from the chancel within the new church and the romanesque building style fits in well with the newer church.
Tge church has been rebuilt and expanded over time. It was built as a Catholic church and was called St. Mary's. After the Reformation of the local German barons as well local Latvians, the church was renamed St. Anna's.
The church floor was once cobblestone. The interior one housed the remains of the deceased but resting places were very expensive, particularly for family plots. Ministers were interred in front of the altar but important members of the congregation and their families, if they could afford to pay, elsewhere in the church.
Other members were buried on church grounds. Those who had a good reputation were buried on the south side of the church but drunkards and other n'er-do-wells(including those who did not frequent Communion), on the north side. The church houses on of the most extensive collections of epitaphs in Latvia.
Mazsalacas novada pašvaldība